Sunday, February 22, 2009

Cover Letters

Prior to doing some reading on this website I did not even know what a cover letter was. I'm sure several people would bite their tongues reading such a statement but although I have heard the term before, I was never particularly familiar with the details. I do believe that this is a smart technique when trying to attain a certain position. As the head of transportation in Anderson county told us, one can use this as an opportunity to express oneself in a professional manner. I have a new appreciation for the statement he made regarding the fact that a resume is merely a list. I believe that in the majority of cases when someone is looking to hire in the business field they are not going hire just anyone with a list of credentials, rather someone who has that list of credentials along with a personality and the ability to write concisely and effectively. A cover letter offers just the opportunity to showcase these things.
I agree with the advice that is offered on this website. To me, although I have little experience with cover letters, by following the steps and advice offered on the given webpage, one can create an effective and persuasive cover letter. I think the sample cover letter given would be the most useful bit of information for me personally. This shows a proper format and effective way to write a cover letter.

No comments:

Post a Comment